You may not give this a thought but the timber in and around your property could be under attack from wood rot or woodworm. If timber strength issues are left unchecked, damage could be considerable and costly.
- Have you checked timber for signs of an issue recently?
- Do you know what to look for?
- If you inspect timbers around the business or residential property are you accessing closed off areas, stairs, flooring and furniture?
- Is your timber treated and under guarantee?
The three major issues to be mindful of are:
- Wet rot.
- Dry rot.
Woodworm lay eggs in the crevices of the wood which hatch in to larvae and develop in to pupa over 2-5 years before appearing in their adult beetle form. They live for less than 2 weeks as beetles.
The larvae and pupa eat the cellulose in timber, your furniture could be a restaurant-hotel to these pests. Licensed treatments through professional firms including Thames Valley Timber Treatment work far more effectively than over the counter products.
- Damaged/crumbling/weak timber.
- Holes and tunnels (galleries) in the timber.
- Frass – The dust which is pushed out of the galleries at surface level by the beetles.
- Dead beetles.
If you suspect that you have a wood rot problem then please contact a wet and dry rot specialist. Expert identification, a comprehensive survey and the correct treatment are essential to eradicate problems and preserve timber.
Wood rot treatments are required when the moisture level increases to 20% for dry rot and 30-50% for wet rot.
- Inclement and extreme weather.
- Plumbing or drainage issues.
- Property damage e.g. hole in roof.
- Insufficient ventilation and duct blockages.
Wet rot treatment should be sought when these signs present themselves:
- Black-brown veined fern shaped fungi.
- The rot may have a cream-white border.
- The affected timber darkens.
- Wood feels spongy.
- The afflicted timber is easy to damage.
- A damp and musty smell prevails.
- Spores bore in to the wood and fruit in a repeat cycle.
Dry rot specialists look for the following clues:
- Fungi is creamy-white.
- Presents cobwebby threads or veining.
- Rot pushes through paintwork.
- Causes cracks in the wood.
- Dry rot has a mushroomy aroma.
Timber treatment services
- The cause of the increased moisture and wood rot must be identified and removed/repaired.
- Salvageable timber must be dried out.
- Specialist timber treatments will be administered to new and existing timber in the risk areas.
Frequent timber inspections should be carried out and if you spot any weaknesses, signs of an infestation or fungi then call in professional, qualified assistance immediately.
Woodworm and wood rot treatments generally cost less if the issue is addressed proactively. Timber specialists and remedial work may not be welcome expenditures but facing the problem does reduce stress and money in the long term. Ignoring woodworm or rot simply allows the escalation of damage.
Firms like Thames Valley Timber Treatment have got the experience and knowledge to facilitate timely and thorough solutions. Contact them for peace of mind and healthy timber.